Winter can be tough on our feathered friends. With limited food available, it is an important time to ensure they have easily accessible food sources.
This makes a great weekend activity with the family.
Here’s what you will need to make your very own Birdseed suet Bells:
- 6 cups birdseed
- 1 cup flour
- 250g shortening (lard)
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin dissolved in 50ml hot water
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Mix the birdseed and flour adding the dissolved gelatin and lard. (soften slightly in microwave will make it easier to mix)
- Add corn syrup and peanut butter.
- Press into terracotta pots threaded together with twine.
- Press twigs into mix for birds to perch on.
- Place in the fridge and let it cool for for a few hours then hang outside in an area away from rain if possible.